It is among the mid-west’s favourite ways and we asked Chef Randall Toenges an M Nation Culinary Arts Instructor to offer us some new recipes today .
Green Salt for Pheasant Confit
YIELD: 1/2 CUP (ENOUGH FOR 8 PHEASANT LEGS AND THIGHS)
1/2 cup kosher salt
two bay leaves, broken into pieces
1 T. fresh coriander, chopped
1 T. fresh rosemary
1/4 cup fresh parsley, packed
1 tsp black peppercorns
2 pounds. Rendered duck/goose fat or lard
– Blend salt, bay leaves, coriander, rosemary, parsley, and peppercorns in a coffee or spice mill or small processor and process till well-combined and vibrant green
– Coat each pheasant leg and thigh with 1 tablespoon of the salt that is green making certain to rub it in to of the areas of the leg. Cover with plastic wrap and then cure.
– Remove the pheasant in the cure and rinse under cold water and dry well using paper towels.
– Put in an ovenproof container and cover with rendered duck fat or lard. Cook at a 190° F oven for 10 hours till “meltingly tender”
Slow-Cooker Split Pea Soup w/ Smoked Turkey & Fresh Marjoram
YIELD: 3 QUARTS (ABOUT EIGHT 10-OUNCE PORTIONS)
8 cups water
1 big Smoked Turkey Leg
onion, carrot, and celery scraps
2 whole cloves
1 each bay leaves
4 whole black peppercorns
1 medium onion, 1/4-inch dice
two medium carrots, 1/4-inch dice
2.5 ribs celery, 1/4-inch dice
4 Tbsp. Butter
2 oz apple smoked bacon, 1/2-inch dice (optional, use 2 tablespoons butter)
1 pounds green or yellow split peas (about 4 cups)
two Tbsp. Fresh marjoram ( 1 tsp dried)
– to taste kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
2 cups garlic croutons for garnish
– Combine the very first set of ingredients in a stockpot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook. Panic, the turkey leg, and reserve liquid. Once the turkey is cool enough to handle, pick on the meat and chop it in 1/4-inch pieces.
– Render the bacon (or not) along with the butter in a saucepot over medium heat. Add the onion if using in place of fresh, and then add the marjoram. Cook with no shade till the vegetables are mostly soft and tender (about 5 minutes).
– Transfer the vegetables to a 6-quart slow cooker. Add turkey, the turkey stock, and legumes. Cover and cook 8-9 hours on 5-6 hours on top, or low.
– Whisk the soup puree the beans. Add the marjoram and season to taste.
– Serve with garlic croutons.
Note: The very first step is optional. It’s possible to make the soup. Just make sure to place
The bay, cloves, and peppercorns in a sachet (tea bag) so you are able to recover them when the soup is cooked.